Noisy Animals

Sometimes all that is required is for someone from the council to explain the problem to the owner. From our experience, often the owner is unaware that there is a problem. Unfortunately, some owners require more assistance and sometimes official action taken against them. To do this, council requires more detailed information from you.

The Local Law (Keeping and Control of Animals) allows the Local Government to take action against an owner if an animal causes irritation or annoyance by excessive noise. Excessive noise is defined as noise that exceeds three (3) minutes accumulated time in any one (1) hour.

Convincing the owner to change their pet's habits is not easy, and the more information we have the easier it is to help you.

Noisy Animal Information


    • Dogs need to be registed with Council.
    • As of October 17, 2013 cats no longer need to be registered with Council.  Cats are still required to be microchipped.
    • Registration forms are available from Council Office (34 Gray Street, Hughenden)


New microchipping laws will also come in to effect on December 10, 2010.  Microchipping is the insertion of a small electronic device in to the animals skin. The chip can be read via the use of a microchip scanning device and the information about your pet accessed through a database anywhere in Queensland. If your microchipped cat or dog gets lost, or if it loses its collar and tag, it can still be identified and quickly returned to you.

WHEN DO YOU NEED TO MICROCHIP?There are three cases when microchipping your cat or dog is mandatory -

  • If your cat or dog is under 12 weeks of age as of December 10, 2010 (minimum age for chipping is 8 weeks),
  • If a cat or dog is being sold or given away, or
  • If your dog is a declared regulated dog.

If you are unsure if your cat or dog is microchipped you can contact your local vet or the Council.More information can be obtained from Flinders Shire Council on (07) 4741 2900. 

Microchip Fact Sheet

Animals in Public Places

Animals must be under effective control when in a public place.  An animal is under the effective control of someone only if a person who is physically able to control the animal -

  • is holding it by an appropriate leash, halter or rein; or
  • has appropriately tethered it to an object fixed to a place from which the object cannot be moved by the animal and is continuously supervising the animal; or
  • has corralled it in a temporary enclosure adequate to contain the animal and is continuously supervising the animal; or
  • the animal is tethered in  or on a vehicle and unable to reach beyond the vehicle extremities; or
  • the animal is a dog in a dog off-leash area and under the supervision of a person who is able to control the animal by voice command; or
  • the animal is participating in, or being exhibitied or trained at, an exhibition or an obedience trial supervised by a body recognised for this section by the local government; or
  • the animal is a working animal actually engaged in moving livestock and under the supervision of a person who is able to control the animal by voice.

Refer to Flinders Shire

Local Law 2 - Keeping and Control of Animals, and

Local Law 6 - Impounding of Animals