Be Storm Ready
PREPARE YOUR HOUSEHOLD EMERGENCY PLAN
- Research hazards and disaster management arrangements in your community.
- Discuss possible scenarios and responses with your household.
- Record details on your Emergency Plan.
- Ensure everyone is prepared.
If You Are Going Away:
- Empty, clean and unplug refrigerators and freezers and leave their doors open.
- Switch off and unplug all non-essential electrical equipment.
PREPARE AN EMERGENCY KIT AND AN EVACUATION KIT
Recommended Items Include:
- Food and water for at least 3 days (urban), and 2 weeks (rural).
- Light (battery or wind up torch).
- Battery powered or wind up radio
- Multiple changes of clothes for everyone, stored in watertight plastic bags.
- Tools and supplies including fuel.
- Spare house and car keys.
- Pillows, sleeping bags and blankets.
- Valuables, photos (prints, compact discs, USB, data cards) and mementos in waterproof plastic bags.
- Essential medications and repeat prescriptions.
- Extra toiletry and sanitary supplies.
- Books and games for children.
- Extra baby food, formula and nappies (if required).
- Pet food, water and medications and registration and microchip details.
- Extra money as ATM's may not be working.
- Fully charged mobile phone, spare battery and charger.
- Important documents such as Insurance papers for house, contents and car.
- Inventory of household goods.
- Wills, life Insurance, house deeds and banking documents, passports, Birth certificates, Medicare cards.
Prepare Your Home
- Check the condition of your roof, repair loose tiles, eaves and roof screws.
- Keep gutters and downpipes clear so water can drain away quickly.
- Trim trees and overhanging branches close to the house to prevent damage to your roof due to trees falling.
- Check and fix any corrosion, rotten timber, termite infestations and loose fittings.
- Keep loose items around your property and garden secure to minimise damage in storms.
- Identify the strongest room in the house, in case you need to shelter in place during a severe storm.
- Be prepared to disconnect electrical appliances and all external television and radio ariels when warnings are issued for severe storms and floods.
- Empty and raise items such as freezers, refrigerators and washing machines when a warning is issued.
- Keep car fully fuelled as bowsers may not work if there is no power.
- Keep generators fully fuelled and reserves available.
- Tune in your battery-powered radio to your local ABC radio station or your local commercial radio station to listen for weather and warning updates.
- Turn your television on to your local station to watch and listen for warning updates.
- Log on to the Bureau of Meteorology www.bom.gov.au for weather warnings.
- Log on to the Qld Disaster Management Services www.disaster.qld.gov.au for information on disaster events
- Log onto Council's Web Site for current local information www.flinders.qld.gov.au
- Log on to the North West QLD Regional Organisation of Council's https://www.nwqroc.com.au/get-ready-nwq for information on disaster events
- Act quickly on the advice provided.