Annual University Scholarships
Flinders Shire Council is offering an annual scholarship, up to the value of $5,000 per annum, towards an approved course equivalent to AQF Level 7 or higher in the fields listed below under “Eligibility”.
Council selects approved courses based on skills shortages in these fields throughout Local Government areas in Queensland, especially in rural and remote Communities with the intent of developing and retaining qualified professionals in the region.
This is an annual Scholarship that must be applied for and will be awarded on an annual basis.
To be eligible for a Scholarship, the student needs to either be a Flinders Shire resident or maintain their residency in the Flinders Shire through their parents/grandparents/guardian (e.g. after commencing an eligible, approved course). The student therefore may be attending an educational institution outside the Shire when they apply for a Scholarship.
Scholarship applicants may be a completing their senior school study and be commencing, or have already commenced, study towards a degree qualification.
Council at its discretion may award more than one Scholarship in a single year, however Council is not obligated to provide a Scholarship every year, even where Council has called for and considered nominations for the Scholarship.
Applications for the 2023 Round of Scholarships
- Open - Monday, 24th October 2022; and
- Close - Friday, 2nd December 2022.
To be eligible for scholarships, applicants must have enrolled in or intend to enrol in study for 2023 or have already commenced full-time study towards a Bachelor Degree (AQF7 or higher) in the following fields:
- Business Management (including Accounting and IT)
- Health Services (including Doctor, Nursing, Veterinary, Allied Health, Aged Care and the like)
- Engineering (Civil, Water and Wastewater)
- Manufacturing (Industrial, Mechanical and Production Engineers)
- Agricultural sciences (including Agribusiness, Agriculture, Natural resources and land management, and Horticulture).
Applicants must be a permanent resident of Australia, Australian citizen, New Zealand citizen or a permanent Australian Humanitarian Visa holder.
They must also be:
- a resident of the Flinders Shire Council for a minimum of two years immediately prior to, and at the time of, the application; or
- be a child or a grandchild of a current resident of the Flinders Shire (minimum of 5 years immediately prior to, and at the time of, the application) and are living away from the shire to pursue higher education; and provide a commitment to live and work in Flinders Shire Region after the completion of studies.
To apply for a Flinders Shire Council University Scholarship:
- Please complete the Application Form
- Refer to the “Supporting Documentation” section of the form and ensure that you have attached the necessary documents to allow Council to effectively assess your application.
- Refer to the “Submitting Your Application” section of the form for information on how to submit your application.